With 226 new cases, T’gana Covid tally reaches over 2.92L

Thursday, January 21st, 2021, 01:00:14 PM IST

Telangana recorded 226 new Covid cases and reported one death during the last 24 hours, health officials said on Thursday.

The state’s cumulative tally rose to 2,92,621. One person succumbed to the virus, pushing the death toll to 1,584.

According to the director of public health and family welfare, the fatality rate remained 0.54 percent against the national average of 1.4 percent.

While 44.96 percent of the total deaths occurred due to Covid, the rest 55.04 percent had comorbidities, said, health officials.

During the last 24 hours, 224 people recovered from the virus taking the cumulative recoveries to 2,87,117.

The recovery rate stands at 98.11 percent against the national average of 96.7 percent.

The state now has 3,920 active cases, including 2,322 who are in-home or institutional isolation.

Majority of the beds in hospitals treating Covid cases remained vacant. As many as 8,001 beds out of 8,577 beds in 62 government hospitals were vacant. Similarly, in 219 private hospitals, 6,757 out of 7,779 beds were vacant.

The daily count in Greater Hyderabad dropped further to 39. Karimnagar and Medchal Malkajgiri districts recorded the second-highest number at 16 each followed by Rangareddy (15) and Warangal Urban (10). The daily count in the remaining districts was in single digits.

The authorities conducted 31,647 tests. While 27,662 samples were tested in the government labs, 3,985 tests were conducted in the private labs. With this the cumulative number of tests conducted in the state rose to 75,74,184. Tests per million population reached 2,03,497.

According to officials, 70 percent of 2,92,621 cases reported in the state so far were asymptomatic.

The data shows that 63.90 percent of those tested positive so far were aged between 21-50 years. As many as 22.91 percent were aged above 51 years. The positive cases include 13.18 percent who were below 20 years. Of the total cases, 60.44 percent were male and 39.37 percent female.

—-IANS